Help us to relocate our Drop-In Centre
RISE is a grassroots refugee organisation which is entirely controlled, staffed and run by refugees, asylum seekers and ex-detainees.
Due to the high demand for our services, RISE is expecting to relocate its Drop-In Centre, which currently operates in the Melbourne CBD. RISE has been operating this small drop-in space since March 2010. Initially, it could barely fit 20 people. With 2600 registered members, the demand for our services has grown exponentially. We have outgrown our current space to the point where we are quite often forced to turn away members including those with critical needs.
Within the City of Melbourne, there very few places which offer a safe haven for asylum seekers and refugees; our aim is to have a space that is open 7 days a week and allows people to build social networks while gaining confidence and support.
RISE has been advised that a larger drop-in space will become available later in 2015 at Ross House, the building we are currently located in. The new venue will enable us to engage more volunteers to assist our members, and will alleviate their waiting time to seek assistance. In addition, we will be able to deliver more capacity-building projects. With your support, we are hoping to increase our services and resources. Your donation will support 10 key areas, including:
1. A free Computer lab (with Internet facilities, as well as free refreshments and snacks) and weekly computer literacy workshops;
2. A crisis service referral hub (including emergency accommodation and medical information); and assistance with accessing and navigating legal services;
3. Employment & Resume Clinics: The Centre will facilitate pathways to employment for refugees by providing training, job search support and assistance with resume and interview preparation;
4. Settlement support services that will offer flexible settlement solutions that are individually tailored to address the circumstances and preferences of each of our members, on a best fit basis;
5. Drop-in centre Resource Library (books, magazines, news articles and settlement support materials);
6. The RISE Food Bank: The Food Bank will address the initial critical needs of refugees and asylum seekers within our community by providing access to free dry food, fresh and canned fruit/vegetables;
7. Homework and language support programs on weekends as well as after school high school tutoring programs;
8. Workshops for ‘L’ and ‘P’ plates including preparations for driving tests, road safety workshops and theoretical driving lessons;
9. A social networking space and community message board (including information on festivals, upcoming events and news pertaining to relevant creative industries, including visual arts, performing arts, music, theatre, writing and publishing and exhibitions);
10. Music, poetry, creative writing, and arts residencies for adults and kids.
While most of the goods, time and resources are to be volunteered and donated, the new RISE drop-in centre will cost us over $35,000 including installation of computers, desks, accessories, printers and rent, while any further extra donations will be allocated to our educational, welfare assistance or arts program.
We urge you to lend us your support by making a tax-deductible donation. We need your help to keep this organisation thriving. Your donation will assist our dedicated volunteers to provide essential services directly to refugees, asylum seekers, adults and entire families. With your help, we can build a better and stronger future for all.
Support the self-determination of refugees, ex-detainees and asylum seekers in Australia by supporting RISE.
THE RISE TEAM