If you are wondering what we should do after Scott Morrison’s Liberal government winning the federal election 2019; Here are a few eX-detainees’ recommendations at RISE for you to consider. Our eX-detainee members have been saying this for years but it has been brushed aside by the whole refugee sector. Enough is Enough, regardless whether it is the Labor government or Liberal government, you have to fight for the abolition of detention centres not “small wins”.
- Demand all refugees to be released from detention centres (offshore and onshore) to the community immediately and provide them with adequate services
- Adopt eX-detainees’ demands http://riserefugee.org/exdetaineesdemands/
- Do not focus on small wins and target the abolition of all offshore and onshore detention centres
- Hold accountable those NGOs and refugee “experts” who have supported the Australian government to reopen offshore torture camps and benefited from the no advantage policy implemented in 2012 eg: Salvation Army, Save the Children, Paris Aristotle and other NGOs and Corporations listed here: https://drive.google.com/file/d/0B8oBCLooH-ZDeWVYY1doVWFDZFE/view
- Encourage Hospitals and Universities to Divest from security companies such as Serco and Wilson Security http://riserefugee.org/divestment-call/
- Take action to reverse all unjust refugee laws such as refoulement, mandatory detention, temporary protection visas, boat turn-back policies and etc
Remember, refugees and asylum seekers in both offshore and onshore camps are distraught and traumatised, even those who are in the community in Australia who arrived after the no advantage policy. If everyone fought for our and their freedom without only focusing on a select group of people such as kids or specific families, we would not have been in this mess RIGHT NOW.
IF FOR OVER THE LAST 27 YEARS YOUR HIT LIST INCLUDES SMALL WINS THAT ARE BAND-AIDS FOR WHITE SUPREMACIST ANTI-REFUGEE POLICIES, YOU ARE PART OF THE PROBLEM.
Nothing about Us Without Us
RISE eX-detainee Team
Nothing About Us Without Us’ – While you are reading our advocacy materials, media statements and following our campaigns, please remember RISE is entirely governed by and for by eX-detainees, asylum seekers and refugees. Furthermore, all of RISE’s hard work is managed and developed by eX-detainees, asylum seekers and refugees. Support self-determination of RISE: Refugees, Survivors and eX-detainees, by making a tax deductible donation TODAY via https://www.givenow.com.au /riserefugee
Sanction Australia http://riserefugee.org/sanctionaustralia/
Detention Divestment http://riserefugee.org/divestment-call/
Subscribe to newsletter https://mailchi.mp/8425ab0113b9/rise-newsletter
Follow Us : Facebook : Twitter : Instagram