RISE: Refugees, Survivors and Ex-detainees is the first welfare and advocacy organisation governed entirely by refugees, asylum seekers and ex-detainees in Australia. RISE represents over 30 refugee community groups in Australia and located in Melbourne.
In October 2017, the eX-Detainees at RISE: Refugee Survivors and eX-Detainees launched the Sanction Australia campaign. Our primary aim is to sanction Australia from participating in international refugee humanitarian decision making and human rights forums until The End of Mandatory Detention, The End of Refoulement and The End of Refugee Boat Turn back policies. The #SanctionAustralia campaign is distinguished by its unique leadership, in that it is initiated, controlled and directed by eX-detainees from RISE.
It is evident to us that Australia has succeeded in enacting, and providing the world with a blueprint for contemporary modes of border imperialism. Australia’s unrelenting devotion to its politics of deterrence, built on the foundations of the White Australia policy, racism and arbitrary imprisonment demonstrates to us that this country is one that not only allows refugees to be used as political leverage, but applauds its on-going mistreatment of asylum seekers and refugees.
Supporting refugees means supporting agencies, like RISE, that are self-governed and provide refugee communities with more than charity. If you object to the Australian government’s policies of mandatory detention and boat push-back, then you should donate to Sanction Australia campaign as a means of direct action and further support the campaign in the specific ways we have outlined here-
1. Project Coordination wages and costs (RISE is largely run off volunteer labour at present);
2. Content development, research, travel expenses, community networking and hosting events, workshops and conferences;
3. Food, water and material aid for refugees and eX-detainee volunteers and advocates who have no access to other means of financial support;
4. Promotion costs of the Sanction Australia agenda in social media and other advertising; printing materials including flyers and posters;
5. Video promotional materials, including for the direction, development and circulation of video campaigns.
Support our Sanction Australia campaign by making a donation today.
Account Name: RISE: Refugee Survivors and Ex-detainees
Account Number: 220584925
For more info or if you would like to run Sanction Australia fundraiser please contact at email@example.com
Nothing About Refugees Without Refugees
RISE eX-detainee Team
Back to #SanctionAustralia Web Page